Earlier today, when Bell was wanting to pop in a CD for WeePT (Christmas present from our best buddy Tina, woot) she found that the house CD player, our PS3, wasn’t working.
Properly speaking, the controller wasn’t working, which, unfortunately means that essentially it isn’t working.
So when I got done working today, I took a peek at it. The four lights on it were blinking when it was plugged in, meaning that it was charging, but it sure wasn’t controlling the Playstation, whether it was plugged in or not.
I reset the thing, and did a little dance around it, and it still didn’t work.
So, I took that bastard apart. Why? Because that’s what I do when things are broken, and in my experience there’s a 50/50 chance that it’ll work, or that it won’t work.
Anyway, my thinking was that the battery might want to be jiggled around, or there was a wire loose, or a gremlin that I can shake out.
At this point, let it be known that Bell was at work for the evening, I was on tap to make supper to arrive at around 6, and WeePT is hiiiiiiiigh energy and will be expecting her dinner soon. I tasked Pigpen with entertaining the baby temporarily while I fixed this thing.
So, now that I’ve got the circuitboard exposed, I found what seemed to be the problem, one of the L/R triggers was stuck in the downward (mashed) position.
Fixing it basically meant taking everything off, and these triggers are housed in a little plastic assembly, connected to a foam trigger pad, connected to a little offshoot of the circuitboard that turns your fumbly clicks into the guy on the screen failing to do what you want him to do.
Once I removed all the little plastic bits, I was able to slide the evil little plastic piece back on.
By this point, young WeePT was becoming bored the the attentions of her brother,and started inquiring after her dinner.
Time was running out.
I was able to get the triggers back on, and fitting the circuit pad under them was a pain, lemme tell ya. I started fitting the two halves of the body back together, and..
Let me step aside for a moment.
I have a tendency, in moments of pressure and at the climax of a project, to try to brute force my way towards completion, completely throwing out the window any delicacy and finesse I possessed earlier. It doesn’t work, not on electronics, not on cats, not on cars, and not on the ladies.
When the two halves of the body refused to connect, while WeePT was counting down
her fuss clock, I was tempted just to squeeze those suckers together and MAKE them fit, but I resisted.
After a little bit of wiggling and jiggling, everything connected together peacefully.
I plugged it up, and hallelujah, it worked.
Just in time to make dinner.
And it was good too.